Harmful Ultraviolet rays have damaged an EPDM Rubber Roof – watch video
Video Transcription of EPDM's pros and cons
Pros and Cons of EPDM Rubber Roof – Video Transcription:
Hi I’m Erik from Commercial Roof USA and this is a very good example of you know of an EPDM roof and it looks very nice people like it because it has less seams and you know big sheets of material so it looks very clean very nice but the problem is as we say with everything.
First of all its a thinner material and also no UV protection Here’s the perfect example of that Right here uh over the years the EPDM has shrunk a little bit and thus stretched right here in the corner and then with the stretching and the UV rays pounding down on it it starting eating it away and right here in the corner where it was stretched the most this is where it got eaten away the most also and you can see it has gone straight through And this is what happens EPDM looks very nice but does not perform well especially with no UV protection
EPDM Rubber and Harmful UV Rays
EPDM rubber roofing is aesthetically pleasing with its smooth and clean surface. However, we have repaired many EPDM rubber roofs that have signs of degradation from harmful UV rays. We often see these signs in the form of shrinkage and brittleness in certain areas of a roof. Unfortunately, to make repairs to EPDM rubber, the same rubber material must be used, therefore, the problem will persist time and again.
Pros and Cons of EPDM Rubber Roofing
- There are fewer seams than other roofing systems.
- Roofing contractors can install EPDM quickly and at a cost that seems appealing.
- EPDM is single-ply rubber and can last up to 15 years.
- The rubber is flexible and installs easily around skylights and drains.
- Seams separate due to the deterioration of adhesives.
- The rubber fails prematurely; long before the expiration of the warranty.
- Shortly after installation, caulking and lap sealants, that are used to prevent leaks, need to be reapplied.
- EPDM degrades and shrinks causing leaks and creating a constant need for repairs.
- Harmful UV rays are absorbed by the all-black rubber membrane and can raise a/c costs.
Five Roofing Systems
Check out the article on Roofing Systems Explained. This information will be helpful in understanding the different types of roofing systems and how they are applied. There are 5 different roofing systems that can be installed by roofing contractors: the EPDM Rubber Single Ply System, the TPO-Vinyl Single Ply System, the Modified Bitumen Torch Down Two-Ply Membrane System, the Metal Panel Roof system, and the Spray Polyurethane Foam-Based Roof System.
It is important to know as much about the roofing system you want, or need, before you attempt to locate a roofing contractor, when replacing your roof. Most roofing contractors are only familiar with EPDM, therefore, you may have to investigate a bit to find roofing contractors that specialize in the other types of roofing systems mentioned.
We Provide the Following Services to:
Residential and Commercial Flat Roofs
Clean Cut Roofing
Secondary phone: (903) 238-3909
Price range: 2000 - 90000